Skip to main content

Ill Gotten Goods

Ganking happens.

Sometimes it is low sec. Sometimes it is high sec. Sometimes it is null sec. Sometimes it is expected. Sometimes it is not. It is the best of sites. It is the worst of jumps. It is having a full hauler. It is watching your pod eject as your ship explodes around you.

I don’t gank in high sec. Yet. I add the yet because I realize that those days are numbered. Eventually, my natural curiosity is going to win out. I am sure that it will happen after the new crime watch changes are in. I am not overly capable of doing the smart thing and trying to do it now when things may be a tad bit easier. I’ll have to be more careful about it then. I don’t think it’s a bad thing.

For now I am the receiver of ill gotten goods. At first I wrote stolen. Yet, as I tilt my head and debate the word I do not feel that stolen is the proper description for the booty. Someone I know has been ganking haulers for the last few days. He alphas T1 haulers. Overloaded, under tanked, the cargo optimizers and cargohold expanders turn them into paper. The alpha volleys turn them into paper going through a shredder. He ganks for enjoyment but being the rational person that he is he also ganks with an eye to at least break even if not come out ahead. That is a goal not a must. The two should never be confused when one looks at motivation. He makes his own game. His game just happens to be the expense of others.

There are lots of discussions about killboards and their value. I’ve often said that it is not about the killboards it is about the kills. When we are in chat and he posts his latest hauler, it is not because everyone is going to pat him on the back for the herculean effort of ganking a hauler. No one was frightened of that Iteron V fully loaded to the gills with nothing but expanded cargoholds fitted. The congratulations are that a kill happened. Good job. Exploding spaceships.

That is where I come in. I’m not some major player and flipper of goods. I’m not a market tycoon. We are called pirates for a reason. These times may be the most tangible manifestation of it. If one were to visualize it, there would be a smoky room with low ceilings and a card table with hard eyed dudes smoking around it. Someone would step in and drop a bag in the center of the table. Everyone would eye it and then eye the newcomer. Someone would hang him a cigarette and a beer and life would go on as they inventoried what was there and made offers.

While not as exciting, I often make offers for the loot that drops when the kills are posted. I’m not in it for the modules and other easy to access shinies. I’m in it for my industrial needs. Loot does not just mean officer modules. I picked up a stack of blue print originals, blue print copies, and megacyte for an amazing price the other day. He gets instant ISK without having to sort, price and move the goods. I get goodybags that remind me of attending birthday parties as a child.

While tears may fuel spaceships ISK buys them. And oh my are ill gotten goods fun. I now have a well researched Noctis BPC, three hurricane BPC and a stack of unresearched BPO in ammo and frigates. I too have some t2 ammo and fuel blocks. The fuel blocks are a bust. To make the BPC I will spend the same amount as if I were to just buy the fuel block. I don’t make planetary items. But, one of my new corpmates does. I purchased the entire stack for one price taking the good and the bad with it. Then I dig through and chortle at the lovely goodies.

I love this cycle.  I love that about this game.  I’m having seedy back ally deals (or chatroom).   It is another reason why we kill stuff.  There is so much focus on griefers and war decs and noob ganking that people miss the simple reason why any pirate would stalk the space lanes (other then tears).  

ISK.

I do so enjoy this game.

Comments

  1. Sugars Pawn Shop, the place to go if Concord doesn't want you to visit Jita.
    Interesting post and a good read, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It is the best of sites. It is the worst of jumps."

    After reading this blog 3x I just caught this quote! Very nice play on words. Dickens should take that as a compliment

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe one day!

 [15:32:10] Trig Vaulter > Sugar Kyle Nice bio - so carebear sweet - oh you have a 50m ISK bounty - so someday more grizzly  [15:32:38 ] Sugar Kyle > /emote raises an eyebrow to Trig  [15:32:40 ] Sugar Kyle > okay :)  [15:32:52 ] Sugar Kyle > maybe one day I will try PvP out When I logged in one of the first things I did was answer a question in Eve Uni Public Help. It was a random question that I knew the answer of. I have 'Sugar' as a keyword so it highlights green and catches my attention. This made me chuckle. Maybe I'll have to go and see what it is like to shoot a ship one day? I could not help but smile. Basi suggested that I put my Titan killmail in my bio and assert my badassery. I figure, naw. It was a roll of the dice that landed me that kill mail. It doesn't define me as a person. Bios are interesting. The idea of a biography is a way to personalize your account. You can learn a lot about a person by what they choose to put in their bio

Taboo Questions

Let us talk contentious things. What about high sec? When will CCP pay attention to high sec and those that cannot spend their time in dangerous space?  This is somewhat how the day started, sparked by a question from an anonymous poster. Speaking about high sec, in general, is one of the hardest things to do. The amount of emotion wrapped around the topic is staggering. There are people who want to stay in high sec and nothing will make them leave. There are people who want no one to stay in high sec and wish to cripple everything about it. There are people in between, but the two extremes are large and emotional in discussion. My belief is simple. If a player wishes to live in high sec, I do not believe that anything will make them leave that is not their own curiosity. I do not believe that we can beat people out of high sec or destroy it until they go to other areas of space. Sometimes, I think we forget that every player has the option to not log back in. We want them to log

And back again

My very slow wormhole adventure continues almost as slowly as I am terminating my island in Animal Crossing.  My class 3 wormhole was not where I wanted to be. I was looking for a class 1 or 2 wormhole. I dropped my probes and with much less confusion scanned another wormhole. I remembered to dscan and collect my probes as I warped to the wormhole. I even remembered to drop a bookmark, wormholes being such good bookmark locations later. My wormhole told me it was a route into low sec. I tilted my head. How circular do our adventures go. Today might be the day to die and that too is okay. That mantra dances in the back of my head these days. Even if someone mocks me, what does that matter? Fattening someone's killboard is their issue not mine. So I jumped through and found myself in Efa in Khanid, tucked on the edge of high sec and null sec. What an interesting little system.  Several connections to high sec. A connection to null sec. This must be quite the traffic system.    I am f