Skip to main content

Origin of a Spaceship: Disco Mutation

Excerpt from: Origin of a Spaceship


Presentation:
Mutations in spaceships have been documented from the early days of the founding of New Eden.  Many mutations are selectively introduced into the various orders of spaceships.  These introduced mutations are normally classified under the species 'faction' and species 'pirate'.

However, natural mutations are known to occur throughout the native populations.  A well documented case is the Disco Mutation that most commonly affects the family Amarr genus Battleship.  The mutation is not restricted to the genus battleship.  It appears to have a higher frequency of appearance across multi-turreted species causing reports of specimens in herds in both genus battlecruiser through genus destroyer.

The Disco Mutation presents itself through an intricate display of multi-frequency laser beams.  These lasers beams, normally focused as the battleship hunts are instead not focused and spread in chaotic patterns.  It may be a particular glandular problem in the turret ammunition loaders that cause this shift.  The mutation does not present itself obviously and the specimens that have been caught are often not recognized as Disco specimens until dissection.

Observations:
Unlike many mutations the disco mutation is persuasive.  It does not appear to present itself until after sexual maturation.  This latency in presentation may be the answer for why this mutation continues to perpetuate itself.

Documented sightings occur most frequently outside of trade hubs.  Characterized by its flamboyant nature, the Disco specimen often present itself in the middle of the herd.  It is thought that while not a natural mating ritual the flamboyant and stunning nature may confuse young and immature females. However, due to the negative effects on the hunting ability of these spaceships Disco specimens often die early due to their poor hunting skills or inability to compete in battles for fleet positions and sec status.

Classification Confusion:
Most commonly seen in Amarr Spaceships, Disco mutations have been reported across Caldari and Minmatar respectively.  The Minmatar representation may be confused with the close range smart bombing hunters.  These slow predators use short, but powerful bursts of energy to stun small prey.  They have slow metabolisms due to the size of their choice of prey and can most commonly seen crouching beside jump gates.  These hunters, however, tend to be successful although  due to their voracious appetites they often are put down by Concord as they stray into domestic systems to stalking flocks of ice grazing Mackinaw leading to a lower native population across classified Empire.

Image of Armageddon in full mating display courtesy of: http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm182/WNxGrim/EVE/20101103041606.jpg




Comments

  1. Will there be any more biological articles on other mutations of the various species that inhabit New Eden? They are quite enjoyable reads thus far.
    Also, I think you mean 'excerpt' in your opening line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the catch. That word plagues me. Sadly, I lost the first draft of this article and missed that when I rewrote it.

      These are a lot of fun for me to write and I plan to start producing one weekly (hopefully). The flora and fauna of New Eden is interesting and well worth proper study and documentation.

      It takes an edge off of the serious posting that sometimes starts to swamp the blog. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe one day!

 [15:32:10] Trig Vaulter > Sugar Kyle Nice bio - so carebear sweet - oh you have a 50m ISK bounty - so someday more grizzly  [15:32:38 ] Sugar Kyle > /emote raises an eyebrow to Trig  [15:32:40 ] Sugar Kyle > okay :)  [15:32:52 ] Sugar Kyle > maybe one day I will try PvP out When I logged in one of the first things I did was answer a question in Eve Uni Public Help. It was a random question that I knew the answer of. I have 'Sugar' as a keyword so it highlights green and catches my attention. This made me chuckle. Maybe I'll have to go and see what it is like to shoot a ship one day? I could not help but smile. Basi suggested that I put my Titan killmail in my bio and assert my badassery. I figure, naw. It was a roll of the dice that landed me that kill mail. It doesn't define me as a person. Bios are interesting. The idea of a biography is a way to personalize your account. You can learn a lot about a person by what they choose to put in their bio

Taboo Questions

Let us talk contentious things. What about high sec? When will CCP pay attention to high sec and those that cannot spend their time in dangerous space?  This is somewhat how the day started, sparked by a question from an anonymous poster. Speaking about high sec, in general, is one of the hardest things to do. The amount of emotion wrapped around the topic is staggering. There are people who want to stay in high sec and nothing will make them leave. There are people who want no one to stay in high sec and wish to cripple everything about it. There are people in between, but the two extremes are large and emotional in discussion. My belief is simple. If a player wishes to live in high sec, I do not believe that anything will make them leave that is not their own curiosity. I do not believe that we can beat people out of high sec or destroy it until they go to other areas of space. Sometimes, I think we forget that every player has the option to not log back in. We want them to log

And back again

My very slow wormhole adventure continues almost as slowly as I am terminating my island in Animal Crossing.  My class 3 wormhole was not where I wanted to be. I was looking for a class 1 or 2 wormhole. I dropped my probes and with much less confusion scanned another wormhole. I remembered to dscan and collect my probes as I warped to the wormhole. I even remembered to drop a bookmark, wormholes being such good bookmark locations later. My wormhole told me it was a route into low sec. I tilted my head. How circular do our adventures go. Today might be the day to die and that too is okay. That mantra dances in the back of my head these days. Even if someone mocks me, what does that matter? Fattening someone's killboard is their issue not mine. So I jumped through and found myself in Efa in Khanid, tucked on the edge of high sec and null sec. What an interesting little system.  Several connections to high sec. A connection to null sec. This must be quite the traffic system.    I am f