Skip to main content

Origin of a Spacehip - Personal Journal, Ice Fields

Excerpt from Origin of a Spaceship

Personal Journal, Ice Fields
Location: Teonusude, Fittaken, Molden Heath - Minmatar Republic

It is with great excitement that I found myself invited on a tour of the Teonusude ice fields.  My guide was a native of Minmatar space.  A well seasoned man his skin was weathered from the intense reflections of the sunlight off of the ice.

My guide explained to me the nature of the ice fields.  They seem to only exist in some systems with a particular amount of vaporous gas that has condensed into massive fields of ice.  My guide even suggested that there was enough material in a belt for a planet.  There, he told me, we had a good chance to view Mackinaw in their native environment.

As we traveled my guide explained that ice fields and Mackinaw had always attracted each other.  The massive barges grazed upon the sheets of ice, hiding in their shadows from predators.  They were flighty beasts, prone to panic but highly social.  If we were fortunate, we would find some so glutted from feeding that they would be torpid and allow us closer study.

It was hard to contain my excitement   My fingers quivered above my stylus as we dropped out of warp above the ice field.  What awe I felt.  The ice rose in a sweeping pillar of sparkling, blue diamonds.  The deep, red background of the nebula cast millions of shades of purple in every direction   How it glittered! I was enthralled and my guide had to almost force my attention to our real quarry   A fleet of Mackinaw grazed off of a single block of ice.  Their lasers swept about in lazy patterns as they scraped the surface for minerals.

They ignored our shuttle.   I longed to go closer but my guide was stern.  Over hunting had rendered the Mackinaw shy and he was familiar with this herd.  Even as he warned me a Catalyst landed in the system.  Its green hull shattered into bizarre shades against the ice as it pounced on one of the Mackinaws.  Even as it unleashed antimatter fury onto the hapless barge the rest ran.  Their engine trails flared as they scattered in a wild pattern.  The Catalyst ignored them and took down its prey.

Even as the last gusts of fuel flared about the dying Mackinaw Concord arrived and disposed of the poacher.

"Are the Catalyst starving?" I asked.  The carcass was descended upon by a Thrasher.

My guide shook his head.  "Catalyst.  They can't resist.  Their population has skyrocketed and they are always hungry.  So they take chances."

To my surprise, the fleet of Mackinaw returned quickly.  They did not morn their loss but they did move away from the shattered remains as the Thrasher salvaged.  My guide turned the shuttle back towards the station as I pondered what I had seen.

Comments

  1. Your best one yet, probably because it has your writer-self really shining through. Unlike the exposition articles this one has the feel of flash-fiction with a nice arc to it.

    You're making me want a Vorlonesque bioengineered Eve. Room for the Jovians, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really going for that 1800s explorer scientist feel mutated into Eve.

      Delete
    2. Hmm, if steampunk is Victorian exploration mixed into cyberpunk, thus those sensibilities forward a century or two, then perhaps what you're looking at is pulling it forward just a bit farther. :)

      Have you read Bruce Sterling's Mechanist/Shaper books?

      Delete
  2. Fifth paragraph, 'fury' not 'furry'. At least I hope.
    LOVE the 'Origin of a Spaceship' columns!
    Sorry about the constant nitpicking of typos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mistakes are there and needs to be fixed. I thank you for taking the time out to help me improve.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe one day!

 [15:32:10] Trig Vaulter > Sugar Kyle Nice bio - so carebear sweet - oh you have a 50m ISK bounty - so someday more grizzly  [15:32:38 ] Sugar Kyle > /emote raises an eyebrow to Trig  [15:32:40 ] Sugar Kyle > okay :)  [15:32:52 ] Sugar Kyle > maybe one day I will try PvP out When I logged in one of the first things I did was answer a question in Eve Uni Public Help. It was a random question that I knew the answer of. I have 'Sugar' as a keyword so it highlights green and catches my attention. This made me chuckle. Maybe I'll have to go and see what it is like to shoot a ship one day? I could not help but smile. Basi suggested that I put my Titan killmail in my bio and assert my badassery. I figure, naw. It was a roll of the dice that landed me that kill mail. It doesn't define me as a person. Bios are interesting. The idea of a biography is a way to personalize your account. You can learn a lot about a person by what they choose to put in their bio

Taboo Questions

Let us talk contentious things. What about high sec? When will CCP pay attention to high sec and those that cannot spend their time in dangerous space?  This is somewhat how the day started, sparked by a question from an anonymous poster. Speaking about high sec, in general, is one of the hardest things to do. The amount of emotion wrapped around the topic is staggering. There are people who want to stay in high sec and nothing will make them leave. There are people who want no one to stay in high sec and wish to cripple everything about it. There are people in between, but the two extremes are large and emotional in discussion. My belief is simple. If a player wishes to live in high sec, I do not believe that anything will make them leave that is not their own curiosity. I do not believe that we can beat people out of high sec or destroy it until they go to other areas of space. Sometimes, I think we forget that every player has the option to not log back in. We want them to log

And back again

My very slow wormhole adventure continues almost as slowly as I am terminating my island in Animal Crossing.  My class 3 wormhole was not where I wanted to be. I was looking for a class 1 or 2 wormhole. I dropped my probes and with much less confusion scanned another wormhole. I remembered to dscan and collect my probes as I warped to the wormhole. I even remembered to drop a bookmark, wormholes being such good bookmark locations later. My wormhole told me it was a route into low sec. I tilted my head. How circular do our adventures go. Today might be the day to die and that too is okay. That mantra dances in the back of my head these days. Even if someone mocks me, what does that matter? Fattening someone's killboard is their issue not mine. So I jumped through and found myself in Efa in Khanid, tucked on the edge of high sec and null sec. What an interesting little system.  Several connections to high sec. A connection to null sec. This must be quite the traffic system.    I am f