Skip to main content

Origin of a Spaceship: Noctis

Excerpt from: Origin of a Spaceship

Noctis
  • A dedicated salvage and scavenge industrial 
  • Latin for "Of Night"
Background:
Developed by ORE, the Noctis was breed from altered copies of the Primae blueprint.   ORE is the leading blueprint manipulation facility for specialized industrial class spaceships.  They undertook the task of creating a dedicated salvager, large enough for fleet operations in the furthest reaches of space but easy enough for usage in all areas of the Empire.

Due the the cannibalistic nature of spaceships, salvaging after hunting fleets is an important area.  Before, this was the realm of Destroyers.  These ships would descend upon the battlefield and fill their holds with salvaged material and modules.  While Destroyer's were first tamed for this task their predatory nature made them harder to control and they did not thrive upon a pure diet of salvage.  However, salvaging is such an important part of the spaceship diet that almost every species can be seen with some type of salvager adaptation or fleet following accompaniment.

With the advanced speed of spaceship domestication and adaptation for various roles by capsuleers there was a need for a more dedicated salvager.  Thus, ORE created the Noctis.  Due to its fertile nature this spaceship has expanded across all of known and unknown space in a swift, and overwhelming manner that proves it to be yet another fine decision by ORE.

Observations:
Of similar structure, the Noctis is differentiated from the Primae by its darker coloration and red tipping.  Both ships share the same, gaudy yellow trim used for mating displays.  However, their dances are very different and it is rare to see a Noctis and Primae crossbreed.  It is similar to an old Terran species of atmospheric flighted bird. (See: Red Footed Booby vs Blue Footed Booby reference Old Terran Encyclopedia)

Of good nature and a calm temperament the Noctis is a gentle giant.  It is an easy member to keep with a fleet.  Its gentle nature allows it to reside with both carriers and the larger, ORE created industrial the Rorqual.  Rorqual are known for their flighty temperament and the Noctis is often a calming influence upon that massive Industrial.  Its ability to feed off of any wreck also makes it an easy keeper in all regions of space.

Other points of Note:
As a created species the Noctis was not breed with defensive measures in mind.  The initial expansion across inhabited empire space allowed for this.  However, recently, ORE has released a series of modifications for these spaceships allowing them to integrate with a flight of symbiotic drones.  ORE initially constructed this adaptation to allow the Noctis to bond with salvage drones.  However, it was pointed out by many Noctis owners that it would be a small thing to allow the Noctis the ability to bond with any drone type, allowing it some measure of defense in the border lands.

Also, some capsuleers have trained their Noctis to integrate with smartbombs and various offensive devices.  The natural defensive mechanism of the Noctis is to shine tractor beams into the eyes of its attacker while simultaneously salvaging from its hull.  While the natural self preservation is one of the solid factors to invest in this spaceship, the fact is that the Noctis does not understand that salvagers and tractor beams have no effect upon a living spaceship.

See Also:
Primae

Comments

  1. I think you mean Primae (not Prime)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do and then spell checked myself into incorrectness.

      Delete
  2. In the first 'background' paragraph and in the second-to-last paragraph, you used the present tense 'breed' instead of the past tense 'bred' which is more correct.
    Also, in the last paragraph, I believe you mean 'solid' instead of sold', as the latter makes no sense.
    Last one is also in the last paragraph, 'affect' isn't correct to use in this instance, 'effect' is better. I also think you mean No 'effect' there.

    Good fun though! Love reading these, as I've said before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope I meant breed because I was saying crossbreed as in "they do not crossbred" not "they were crossbred". Fixed everything else. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe one day!

 [15:32:10] Trig Vaulter > Sugar Kyle Nice bio - so carebear sweet - oh you have a 50m ISK bounty - so someday more grizzly  [15:32:38 ] Sugar Kyle > /emote raises an eyebrow to Trig  [15:32:40 ] Sugar Kyle > okay :)  [15:32:52 ] Sugar Kyle > maybe one day I will try PvP out When I logged in one of the first things I did was answer a question in Eve Uni Public Help. It was a random question that I knew the answer of. I have 'Sugar' as a keyword so it highlights green and catches my attention. This made me chuckle. Maybe I'll have to go and see what it is like to shoot a ship one day? I could not help but smile. Basi suggested that I put my Titan killmail in my bio and assert my badassery. I figure, naw. It was a roll of the dice that landed me that kill mail. It doesn't define me as a person. Bios are interesting. The idea of a biography is a way to personalize your account. You can learn a lot about a person by what they choose to put in their bio

Taboo Questions

Let us talk contentious things. What about high sec? When will CCP pay attention to high sec and those that cannot spend their time in dangerous space?  This is somewhat how the day started, sparked by a question from an anonymous poster. Speaking about high sec, in general, is one of the hardest things to do. The amount of emotion wrapped around the topic is staggering. There are people who want to stay in high sec and nothing will make them leave. There are people who want no one to stay in high sec and wish to cripple everything about it. There are people in between, but the two extremes are large and emotional in discussion. My belief is simple. If a player wishes to live in high sec, I do not believe that anything will make them leave that is not their own curiosity. I do not believe that we can beat people out of high sec or destroy it until they go to other areas of space. Sometimes, I think we forget that every player has the option to not log back in. We want them to log

And back again

My very slow wormhole adventure continues almost as slowly as I am terminating my island in Animal Crossing.  My class 3 wormhole was not where I wanted to be. I was looking for a class 1 or 2 wormhole. I dropped my probes and with much less confusion scanned another wormhole. I remembered to dscan and collect my probes as I warped to the wormhole. I even remembered to drop a bookmark, wormholes being such good bookmark locations later. My wormhole told me it was a route into low sec. I tilted my head. How circular do our adventures go. Today might be the day to die and that too is okay. That mantra dances in the back of my head these days. Even if someone mocks me, what does that matter? Fattening someone's killboard is their issue not mine. So I jumped through and found myself in Efa in Khanid, tucked on the edge of high sec and null sec. What an interesting little system.  Several connections to high sec. A connection to null sec. This must be quite the traffic system.    I am f