Skip to main content

Notes and Observation of the Habitat of the Spaceship

Excerpt from Origin of a Spaceship
Personal Journal, POCO (Planet Orbital Collections Objects)

Notes and Observation of the Habitat of the Spaceship

It is but the nature of mankind to tame as he passes. The wild lanes of space become peaceful, pastoral lands. The rolling nebula and wild planets become dotted with mining barges and haulers grazing on belts and hauling the loads of men. The need to domesticate the land is a motivating factor that pushes out through the edges.

The development of the POCO (Planet Orbital Collections Objects) is one such thing. It would not be surprising to leave these structures out of the Encyclopedia Spaceshiptanica for they are nether natural nor unknown. These structures were originally made to fuel weary barges and store supplies thrown into orbit from the planets. Over time they became Oasis in systems. Places where both tame and wild spaceships come to drink and to hunt. The adaptation of Spaceships to POCO are what brings my pen to paper for a notation of this unnatural habitat.

In the heart of the Empire spaces one rarely sees anything more predatory than a Catalyst or Thrasher. Occasionally, Tornadoes driven by hunger to High Sec may appear. These various predators are out of their element and regularly hunted down. There is a price for this relative safety. Oasis are heavily taxed and monitored and wild haulers are almost never to be seen. Instead, these are well worn paths with corrals and long lines waiting to refuel and gather supplies.

One of my early questions was, "How do these things prosper outside of the empire?" It would seem to my unfiromed view that a large amount of time and energy would go into creating these structures. However, outside of Empire Space these Oasis are created and tended by Corporations of independent pilots. CONCORD has sold the structural rights for these Oasis. Once situated they are surprisingly sturdy and the local Spaceships appear to adapt to them at a surprising rate.

One corporation CEO explained to me that it was, "just another hunting ground." It seems that while structurally similar in shape and use the situational variants of non-empire POCOs create a diverse feeding ground for both the occasional wild hauler and the roaming fleets of predatory spaceships. Interplanetary commerce must continue it seems and territorial battles rage throughout the private corporations as they wrestle for control over rich resources.

They leave the resources open to others. It still draws in the wild haulers and the deep space voyagers with their quiet caravans. Lone hunters prey upon them and fleets seem to gather at them for short periods of rest. Even now as I observe the flash of the beacon outside of my window a fleet of cruisers rests a short bit off of the Poco, gorged from battle. In the distance a few still harry the empty hulls, salvaging the bits that remain. The blue flicker of their salvagers are faint to my eye but bright and clear to their sensors...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maybe one day!

 [15:32:10] Trig Vaulter > Sugar Kyle Nice bio - so carebear sweet - oh you have a 50m ISK bounty - so someday more grizzly  [15:32:38 ] Sugar Kyle > /emote raises an eyebrow to Trig  [15:32:40 ] Sugar Kyle > okay :)  [15:32:52 ] Sugar Kyle > maybe one day I will try PvP out When I logged in one of the first things I did was answer a question in Eve Uni Public Help. It was a random question that I knew the answer of. I have 'Sugar' as a keyword so it highlights green and catches my attention. This made me chuckle. Maybe I'll have to go and see what it is like to shoot a ship one day? I could not help but smile. Basi suggested that I put my Titan killmail in my bio and assert my badassery. I figure, naw. It was a roll of the dice that landed me that kill mail. It doesn't define me as a person. Bios are interesting. The idea of a biography is a way to personalize your account. You can learn a lot about a person by what they choose to put in their bio

Taboo Questions

Let us talk contentious things. What about high sec? When will CCP pay attention to high sec and those that cannot spend their time in dangerous space?  This is somewhat how the day started, sparked by a question from an anonymous poster. Speaking about high sec, in general, is one of the hardest things to do. The amount of emotion wrapped around the topic is staggering. There are people who want to stay in high sec and nothing will make them leave. There are people who want no one to stay in high sec and wish to cripple everything about it. There are people in between, but the two extremes are large and emotional in discussion. My belief is simple. If a player wishes to live in high sec, I do not believe that anything will make them leave that is not their own curiosity. I do not believe that we can beat people out of high sec or destroy it until they go to other areas of space. Sometimes, I think we forget that every player has the option to not log back in. We want them to log

And back again

My very slow wormhole adventure continues almost as slowly as I am terminating my island in Animal Crossing.  My class 3 wormhole was not where I wanted to be. I was looking for a class 1 or 2 wormhole. I dropped my probes and with much less confusion scanned another wormhole. I remembered to dscan and collect my probes as I warped to the wormhole. I even remembered to drop a bookmark, wormholes being such good bookmark locations later. My wormhole told me it was a route into low sec. I tilted my head. How circular do our adventures go. Today might be the day to die and that too is okay. That mantra dances in the back of my head these days. Even if someone mocks me, what does that matter? Fattening someone's killboard is their issue not mine. So I jumped through and found myself in Efa in Khanid, tucked on the edge of high sec and null sec. What an interesting little system.  Several connections to high sec. A connection to null sec. This must be quite the traffic system.    I am f